We have had another busy couple of weeks in school and as pupils and staff break for a well-earned half-term, I wanted to thank parents and carers for their continued support this half-term. As always, please refer to the school’s website and social media channels for information, news and events as they are updated on a regular basis. Some recent highlights include:
- We were chosen as a school to launch an Active Travel Curriculum Resource for Wales. Lee Waters (MS) visited the school with Sustrans to mark the event and pupils ‘spooked-up’ their scooters, cycles, or boots for a parade which was tremendous. We also gave a presentation on the work which has been done in recent years to promote active travel.
- GCSE Drama students put on a performance for Year 6 pupils in the school theatre based around keeping safe on Halloween and Guy Fawkes night on Wednesday 26th October. The NPT Fire Safety Team also ran a quiz with prizes. I would like to thank Year 10 GCSE students who worked extremely hard on this project which carries an important message about enjoying this time of the year and staying safe.
- A group of Year 11 pupils went to The New Theatre in Cardiff to see a production of “An Inspector Calls” which is one of the set texts on the English Literature syllabus. They had a lovely time and represented the school well.
- It has been a pleasure also to see the range of sporting activities on offer with matches for girls and boys taking place most days of the week.
- Enrichment club on a Wednesday night continues to be very popular and I would again encourage pupils to look at what is on offer after school as the opportunities are extensive.
Year 11 GCSE Examinations
Individual pupil timetables for November have already been distributed to pupils and all information regarding these examinations along with study guidance can be accessed here. Please avoid booking family holidays during the school term; absences naturally impact adversely on pupils’ learning. Unfortunately, we have had occasions when holidays have been booked during the school term that have also clashed with GCSE exams; they cannot be re-arranged for another date. On 14th and 16th of November, Year 11 pupils will be sitting their GCSE Mathematics exams, and May/June 2023 both Year 10 and Year 11 will be sitting GCSE exams.
As you aware we no longer have purple YBB hoodies as part of out optional outdoor PE uniform. We have now launched through Sportec a ¾ Zipped sports top that can be purchased to wear as part of our optional outdoor PE uniform. Can I also take this opportunity to thank you for your support in ensuring pupils are wearing the correct uniform.
It just remains for me to remind everybody that all pupils return to school on Monday 7th November. For pupils in the secondary phase it will be week A timetable.
Have a great time over half-term and remember to stay safe.