Headteacher’s Update – 9th September 2022

I hope everyone has had a great summer holiday.

As a school, we were saddened to learn of the death of Her Majesty The Queen yesterday after a lifetime of devoted service. We will pay our respects as a community as the nation enters a ten-day period of mourning. We have used morning assembly with primary phase pupils and Registration with secondary pupils to reflect on her life and respond to any questions the children may have. I will be representing the school at a Proclamation event on Sunday afternoon. I am sure that we will get further information regarding the funeral and any implications for schools over the coming days and I will communicate this to parents and carers through our usual channels.

Return to School

It has been lovely to see our pupils return to school this week and whilst some may not readily admit it, I am sure they have enjoyed getting back into school routines and seeing their friends and teachers! Our new Year 7 pupils have settled really well. Although they have visited school as part of the transition programme it is nonetheless a big move to secondary school and they have acquitted themselves well and are getting used to moving around the school to lessons, timings of the day etc. Likewise, we have also welcomed our youngest learners in Nursery.

Satchel One

Usernames and passwords for parents of Year 7 will be distributed early next week with further information about the app so that all parents have access to timetables, homework schedules and behaviour notices. Could all parents please ensure that they download the latest version.

Uniform

In my July letter, I outlined again why school uniform is important. I really appreciate the support of parents and carers as far as uniform is concerned. The vast majority of pupils have attended this week in the correct uniform and look very smart. Can I also thank those people who have donated to our uniform bank which continues to benefit many families. Any further donations are welcome in Reception.

Parentpay

We are a cashless school. Our secondary phase pupils have access to the canteen at breaktime for drinks, toast and other snacks but will need credit on their Parentpay account to purchase items. Free School Meals only covers lunchtime provision.

GCSE Results

Last year’s Year 11 cohort of pupils achieved excellent GCSE results. After the disruption of the last two years, the pupils and staff worked extremely hard and were rewarded with the best set of examination results in the school’s history. This included pupils achieving five or more A*/A grades, five or more A*-C including English & Maths as well as those achieving five or more A*-G grades. It was wonderful to see so many happy faces on Results Day in August. We wish all the pupils the best for the future.

Developments in the summer:

We have been busy over the summer completing a number of projects including a brand new basketball court which will benefit pupils during the school day as well as the community outside of school hours. A new area for GCSE Construction has also been completed as well as a Ninja Warrior assault course in the Lower School yard.

Looking Ahead to next week

• Consent forms have been distributed to pupils and need to be returned as soon as possible please.
  • Photographs Monday 12th  September (all of the primary phase as well as Year 7 & 9)
  • Potential disruption to First Cymru bus services on Thursday 15th September. We have sent out a message regarding this earlier in the week.

Contacting School

If you do need to contact school, please see the contact section of the school website which has been updated with the names and email addresses of Wellbeing Directors, Heads of School etc. You can also contact Reception on 01639 508540

Richard Rees

Headteacher/Prifathro