Headteacher’s Update – 26th May 2023

Half-Term Highlights

It has been another busy half-term!!

Year 11 have commenced their GCSE Examinations. Attendance and attitude to date has been excellent and I am sure they will continue to work hard over the coming weeks. Likewise, Year 10 pupils have sat some of their GCSE Examination units, which will stand them in good stead for next year.

The term started with our school production of “Little Shop of Horrors” which was a resounding success once again and showcased the immense amount of talent at YBB.

The Year 11 boys football team were crowned the Welsh Schools FA Champions 22/23 beating Abersychan in a nailbiting penalty shootout. I was delighted to attend the recent Aberavon Schools Under 15s rugby presentation. A number of pupils have also been selected for representative teams at county and international level.

The whole school came together to celebrate the Coronation of King Charles III

Green Flag -we were informed this week that the school has been awarded its second Green Flag. This is a testament to the hard work carried out by the Eco Committees led by Mrs Bhambra and Miss Stead. The pupils were a credit to the school and they certainly lead by example.

I would remind you again to follow the school’s website, Twitter account etc for that all the news, events, pictures as it is updated regularly.

Uniform

I would like to thank parents for their support regarding uniform. We shared concerns about some of the uniform being worn this week and whilst I appreciate that it has been warmer, the wearing of crocs, sliders and hotpants is not part of the school uniform policy. As in previous years, we will review the weather after half-term and decide whether or not to revert to the summer uniform which is the school’s PE uniform or normal school uniform. If this is the case, I will communicate this to parents and carers. We will continue to monitor the standrad of uniform after half-term particularly the wearing of branded tracksuits and leggings which are again not part of the uniform policy.

Parking

I also appreciate that parking around the school site is not easy at the start and end of the school day but I need to remind you that the school gates are closed for safeguarding purposes between 8:15-8:45 a.m. and 2:40-3:10 p.m. If you are parked on the site between these times, please ensure that your engine is off and only proceed to the gates when instructed by the senior member of staff on duty. Additionally, please do not park on the grass verges outside or close to the locked gates. The Emergency Services have raised concerns about this as they need to access the site in the event of an emergency. Finally, can I remind you to respct the residents of Afandale and avoid parking on the estate.

I hope that everybody has a relaxing half-term break and that the sunny weather of late continues!! All pupils return to school on Monday 5th June.

Mr Rees

Headteacher/Prifathro