Headteacher’s Update-8th September 2023

Welcome Back

It has been lovely to see all our pupils return to school this week. In thirty years, I cannot remember a first week back in school where the weather has been as warm as it has been this week. This in its own way has presented challenges so I would like to thank the staff and pupils for adapting to the situation this week. Pupils new to the school appear to have settled in really well, particularly our new Year 7 cohort who have had to get used to the building, finding their way around, a two-week timetable, meeting lots of new members of staff and pupils etc. All the pupils should be very proud of themselves and I am sure they will find it easier as the weeks progress.

Attendance

I have been greatly encouraged by the level of attendance at the start of term. Attendance has been 93% overall in both the Primary and Secondary Phase. It is vitally important that high levels of pupil attendance are maintained in order for pupils to fulfil their academic potential as well as provide appropriate pastoral support where necessary. Research shows a strong correlation between high attendance and pupils’ wellbeing and academic achievement so please can you ensure maximum attendance for your child throughout the year.

Uniform

The pupils looked splendid in their uniforms coming to school on Monday and I thank parents for adhering to the school’s Uniform Policy. Due to the exceptionally hot weather, we decided to move to the summer uniform/PE kit and again on the whole pupils have attended in the appropriate uniform. The weather is set to change next week and temperatures are due to be in line with normal temperatures for this time of year. I therefore would ask that all pupils attend from Monday 11th September in full school uniform.

Photographs

Can I remind pupils and parents in Year 7 & 9 that school photographs are being taken on Monday 11th September. A timetable for taking photographs has been produced which means that there should be minimal disruption for pupils.

Home School Agreement

We have used registration and assembly time this week to remind pupils of the school’s expectations with a clear message of being Ready, Safe and Respectful. This is linked to our Home School Agreement which can be found here. I would kindly ask that parents/carers take some time to look at this and if possible, discuss with pupils. The link between school and home is important and one that we value. Please use Satchel One, which is our online platform and provides a direct link between school and parents/carers.

Practice Fire Drill

In line with safeguarding procedures, we held a practice fire drill on Friday 8th September. Pupils had been made aware of their muster points at the start of the week. Pupils conducted themselves very sensibly during the evacuation process so well done.

GCSE Examinations

Please avoid booking family holidays during the school term as absences naturally impact adversely on pupils’ learning. Unfortunately, we have had occasions when holidays have been booked during the school term that have also clashed with GCSE exams, these cannot be re-arranged for another date.  Please note that on 13th and 15th of November, Year 11 pupils will be sitting their GCSE Mathematics exams, and in May/June 2024 both Year 10 and Year 11 will be sitting GCSE exams. As soon as WJEC have finalised the Summer 24 Examination Timetable it will be posted in the Pupil section on our school website.

I hope everybody has a relaxing weekend and makes the most of the lovely weather!!

Mr Richard Rees

Headteacher